2, rue de la Ternière
Avrillé cedex FRANCE
Smooth threaded bush - cylindrical spacer
The smooth threaded bushing: the perfect compromise between a self-tapping threaded insert and a spacer.
A threaded bush is a fastener with external threads and a smooth interior, designed to connect securely with other components.
Smooth threaded bushes are essential components in the automotive and other industrial sectors.
Thanks to their external thread, they provide a robust and reliable fastening, while their smooth interior limits compression forces. Whether assembling mechanical parts, engines or suspension systems, smooth threaded bushes play a key role in guaranteeing the quality and durability of automotive assemblies.
Their precise design and smooth operation make them a must-have for industry professionals, especially in the automotive sector.
How are LGC threaded bushes made?
There are two different methods for creating a threaded bushing
From material to threaded bush
The manufacturing process for threaded bushes begins in a similar way to that for threaded inserts threaded inserts.
The first step is to externally thread the reel of raw material.
This stage is called rolling, as the bushing is passed between 3 rollers and the rolling system cold-forms the part, compressing it to create the thread. Cold deformation has the advantage of reinforcing the material's elastic resistance.
For example, a threaded bushing made of rolled material will have better pull-out resistance than a rolled material.
The second step is to cut the tube from the raw material on a suitable machine. The tube is cut to the desired length.
Chamfers and finishes can be added to the material.
The part then goes through a grinding stage.
A roller presses the workpieces against a grinding wheel rotating at high speed.
Thanks to the abrasion of the grinding wheel, the diameter of the part is modified to achieve tolerances of a few microns (~5-6 μm).
What are the advantages of a smooth threaded bushing?
- Ease of assembly: plain threaded bushes are renowned for their ease of assembly. Their simplified design enables fast, efficient installation, reducing the time needed to complete a project.
- Reduced friction: thanks to their smooth internal surface, these bushes minimize friction within the assembly. This is particularly beneficial in preventing premature component wear and ensuring consistent performance over time.
- Precise fit: smooth threaded bushes provide a precise fit between assembled components. This dimensional accuracy is crucial in applications where every millimetre counts to ensure optimal operation.
- Material versatility: Smooth threaded bushes are compatible with a variety of materials, offering essential versatility. Whether for metal, plastic or composite assemblies, they adapt easily to different contexts.
- Reduced maintenance costs: by minimizing friction and offering high corrosion resistance, smooth threaded bushes help reduce maintenance costs. Fewer parts subject to wear mean a longer service life.
Would you like to find out more about our sockets?
Visit our dedicated article: All you need to know about LGC sockets